Friday, September 23, 2011

Guyland Blog

After reading Guyland , the first thing that really resonated with me was on page 47 when Kimmel states “Guys hear the voices of the men in their lives- fathers, coaches, brothers, grandfathers, uncles, priests- to inform their ideas of masculinity” (Kimmel 47). I remember back when I was younger, we would always go to my step-grandparents’ house on Sundays. Every time we went over their Earl, my step-grandfather, would ask me “So how many girly friends do you have? Come on now be a man you need at least 3”. My mom would get really mad at him. So that’s one time where my grandpa shaped my views on masculinity. My dad also found an empty bottle of liquor in my room once, it was coconut rum, and all he had to say was “If you’re going to be stupid and drink, at least drink a man’s drink. This is for girls”.
                Another hotspot I found in this excerpt was on page 57 where Kimmel talks about the alarming rate of rape cases occurring on college campuses. I think this one stood out to me mainly because I am a college student and because of the rape that occurred last week. It isn’t just some random fact in the book that I read, this actually happens. It also made me think of my friend from back home who got raped by her boyfriend. He wanted to have sex and she said no so he forced himself on her and got what he wanted. I think this plays right into the whole “Being a Real Man” character because he wasn’t going to let a girl tell him what he can and cannot do. Even though it was his girlfriend, he was still going to show his dominance over her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment